Lead Engineer – Cloud Infrastructure (AWS)
Location: Negotiable (Oxford for 2 days per week minimum)
This role sits within a highly technical team that is responsible for delivering the infrastructure and services that supports my clients products and services. All services are served from, or are being transitioned to, cloud based architecture.
The purpose of this role is to ensure that my client are achieving compliance with best practices, making the best use of it’s multi-million dollar annual spend with various cloud vendors and ensuring the requisite levels of resilience required by our customers. Effectively this means that every dollar spent goes towards the goal of delivering world class services.
Whilst our primary cloud partner is Amazon Web Services, where the majority of your skills and experience should originate from, all of the policies, procedures and best practices should be applied to all cloud vendors.
– Using your deep understanding of all AWS technologies work with and advise business units on the most efficient use of the technology to drive down cost, improve performance and maintain or improve security posture
– Understand current spending patterns across all lines of business and identify opportunities for savings or efficiencies
– Rightsizing and reserving instances – analysis, recommendations, implementation and subsequent review and adjustments
– Educate and monitor business units on housekeeping activities; retention policies, deletion of unused assets etc
– Own the tagging strategy design and drive the implementation through the business units
– Understand and communicate recommended best practices from the various Cloud vendors and industry specialists
– Produce regular executive level reporting on governance and compliance
– Keep abreast of new AWS technologies and determine advantages to Sophos of adopting these technologies
– Work with our Security group to build and maintain reporting and alerting tools to identify security related alerts and activity in our cloud infrastructure
– Advise business units on best practices from a security perspective on how to secure production and development infrastructure
– Identify opportunities to improve resilience within each of the solutions to meet the exacting standards required by the nature of the services
Experience and Skills
– Demonstrable input to cost reduction or cost efficiencies in large scale cloud infrastructure
– Experience working as an engineer / administrator with a specialism in Amazon Web Services
– Qualified AWS Solutions Architects coupled with hands on experience will have a distinct advantage
– Reporting skills through BI tools, PowerPoint or other mediums is essential