A senior copywriter will have a proven track record as a copywriter, with a deep understanding of the ways copy helps clients achieve their aims, and the ability to generate immaculate copy for every brief.
Comfortable and confident in their writing, and willing to help less senior members of staff to improve their copy skills, senior copywriters are leading figures in a creative team and are always ready to rise to any challenging brief with a keen eye for detail, and a drive to deliver the sharpest, most dazzling copy.
This role requires complete self-assurance, as the senior copywriter is in charge of influencing consumers by delivering a clear message, as well as using their initiative to seek out new trends and incorporate them into campaigns effectively.
Working alongside art directors, developers and designers, senior copywriters must be keen team players and self sufficient multi-taskers, full of original approaches and innovative ideas.
Although the role can vary from agency to agency, most senior copywriters are expected to:
- Take ownership of copy briefs and answer them to a very high standard
- Develop creative strategies that are forward-thinking and in-line with current media trends
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of campaign objectives and devise strategies to achieve them
- Offer creative ideas and encourage others to share theirs
- Check all copy that generated by team members and offer feedback when necessary
- Manage multiple projects, with the ability to switch from one to the other seamlessly
- Meet deadlines and stay within budget constraints
- Push clients towards fresh, exciting ideas
- Liaise with clients
- Complete timesheets and reports
Every agency will be looking for different skills, so a senior copywriter needs a wide range of abilities. These include:
- Significant experience in professional, commercial writing
- A strong record in creating immaculate copy that stands out from the crowd
- The ability to plan and strategise high-profile projects
- A persuasive and confident approach to creativity
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective team management capabilities
- A keen attention to detail and timescales
- Familiarity with creative processes and techniques – including digital media
- Confidence in building a rapport with clients and nurturing good working relationships
This role will only be suitable for advanced copywriters ready to make their mark and influence others. It is a demanding post and requires the patience to help others grow professionally, as well as evolving your own skills.