Cogs Hong Kong has once again brought another great tech event to the local community with an Introduction to Cloud Native and last Thursday.
We would like to thank our presenter and panellist, Daniel Li for sharing his time and knowledge with everyone.
This evening would not have been possible without the generosity of our event partner, IBM, for hosting the venue in their amazing auditorium. Shout out to the IBM iX team for co-organising the evening, IBM panellists Yaw Ly and Peter Lai for setting the time aside to meet and answer all the queries our curious audience had.
We hope everyone left the session with great takeaways and clarity on this topic.
For those who have missed the evening, here are some of the key highlights:
- Cloud Native technologies is an approach that empowers organizations to build and run scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public, private, and hybrid clouds.
- With robust automation, Cloud Native will enable engineers to make high-impact changes frequently and predictably with minimum effort.
- There are 3 different business models for Cloud services: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS).
- A shift from traditional monolithic architecture to microservices architecture helps separate each functional element into a separate service and will replicate when needed. Microservices architecture provides autonomy and scalability in platforms. However, it may not be applicable all the time so use when appropriate.
- Containers allow applications to be deployed easily. They are run in isolation (security benefit) and control.
- Dockers help to package applications into ‘containers’.
- Often Dev and Ops are siloed functions that work on competing objectives. Using self-service PaC (Pipeline as Code) drives engineers to think beyond the code. This will result in a seamless end-to-end solution for users.
View pictures of the evening below:
Daniel has made his presentation deck available for public viewing here.
For further information about our partner IBM iX and what they do, click here.
Want to receive invites for future digital and technology events?
If you’re based in Hong Kong and have the thirst for all things digital, why not join HK Techneeks? It’s a local community that Cogs Agency Hong Kong supports. We work together with corporate clients in the fields of technology and design to bring you events like these. In doing this, we hope to bridge the digital gap through learning and sharing. Expect a variety of digital topics ranging from the technical aspects to user experience know-how.